The first execution on this site took place on August 12, 1942. Those events are commemorated by the monument near the Orthodox Church, dedicated to people who lost their lives here. The Nazi authorities terrorised the society with public executions or hangings. During each of them, Białowieża inhabitants were herded to the site and ordered to watch the killings. Frequently, people were brought from a prison located in the Post Office and Orphanage building.
Following the above-mentioned execution, the German authorities were informed that it was the Barmuts who helped people hiding in Białowieża Forest. In consequence they were hang on makeshift gallows formed by a plank nailed to telegraphic poles, with rope nooses attached to it. Their bodies were left on the gallows for several days and then they were buried in the local graveyard. This crime was committed near the Orthodox Church at Stoczek Street (now Generał Waszkiewicz Street).
Another execution took place on September 9, 1942. 18 people were hang, majority coming from Królowy Most (currently Kamieniuki). In this case their bodies were also left on the gallows for several days and then they were buried in the local graveyard.
Executions near the Orthodox Church were continued until September 17, 1943. 129 inhabitants of Białowieża and local villages, now located on both sides of the border, were killed here.